Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Wacky Wiki

I used wikis and created a wiki at my previous library. For various reasons, they met with limited success. The main reasons they weren't as successful as they could have been are 1) Some staff were not interested in learning/using it, and 2) it was one more site to go to, one more login to remember.

I think they can be very useful for collaboration or for documents such as manuals that need constant revision. Many of us are participating in Wynne's wiki to improve the State Library web page. It's a great way to put in your 2 cents and throw ideas around.

The example wikis I looked at were interesting, but did not seem to be very active. I did a google search and got the same result. Most of those wikis were internal. One was for enhancing communication within a library department. One idea was to create a wiki for trustee board minutes. I do not believe that ever came about, because I couldn't find a link to it from the Board's page. I could see Friends groups using wikis for their meeting info and to work on projects.

A couple of the examples were for the public. I especially liked the Stephens County wiki, which asked for historical information about the county. That is a good way to get community involvement for a worthwhile project. The centennial committee for my hometown could have benefitted by using a wiki!

Where does the public find these wikis? I went to the libraries' web site home pages and clicked around, but was unable to find a link from Bull Run's home page to the wiki. I couldn't find a link from the wiki to the home page, either. There was a link from Stephens County's wiki to its home page, but it wasn't very obvious. If your wiki is for the public, it has to be obvious or it won't be used--or useful.

Using a wiki for a particular project ought to cut down on meeting time. It allows participants to comment and edit as their time allows. And an edit doesn't wipe out what was there previously. Wikis are useful for helping organize projects, with a separate page for each aspect.

The SDLA wiki is an interesting way to put a conference program--always open to change until the last minute--together. Offering a wiki takes the burden off one person to make all the changes.

Room for error? Wikipedia's authority is constantly challenged. It seems, though, that the community regulates itself quite well and corrects whatever errors sneak in.

And because "wiki" sounds a little like "witch doctor," I'm including this for your pleasure:


Alvin And The Chipmunks - Witch Doctor via Noolmusic.com

3 comments:

~ Q ~ said...

I love the chipmunk video...It made me think of my favorite movie the chipmunk adventure...here one of my fav songs from that movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVW_H0UOBo4&feature=related

Jane Heitman Healy said...

LOL! Love it! Thanks for sharing, Q!

jane

Wynne NS said...

fab posting! Excellent points -- yes most wiki's seem to be "internal" rather than public, but it's all in the context of said wiki, right? Unfortunately, not everyone "gets" wikis, but you can lead a horse to water, but can't force him to drink.. is that how that goes? :)

oh, and fantastic video. That's going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day... aka earworm...

--wns