Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Google Docs Rocks!

I did look at the other applications on the list, just to be fair, but since I already have a Google account, Google Docs was my preference to begin with. Then I got in there and started mucking around! Wow! I like:
* the wide variety of editable templates
* how easy it is to use!!!
* that it includes documents, forms, spreadsheets, and presentations
* how easy it is to use!!!
* that you can set (and unset) who has access to your documents
* how easy it is to use!!!
* its versatility--it offers many options for format, style, font, etc.
* how easy it is to use!!!
* it doesn't take up my own computer memory

How will I use it in my personal life?
My mind is spinning with ideas: household budget spreadsheet for my husband & me (yeah, as if); use with editors and critique group members for writing; create, save, and share presentations, and post any of these to my blog. That's just off the top of my head.

How will I use it for work?
We "remotes" may find this to be an efficient way to communicate, develop & share forms and presentations, create and share plans, etc. What do you think?

How can libraries use this?
Internally for sharing all kinds of documents, spreadsheets, & presentations. It may be a place to post training materials. It would be a great tool for documents requiring input or editing, such as a strategic plan or a statistics spreadsheet. Externally, I see lots of potential for school use for papers, projects, reports and such. Libraries could make a public file for posting book reviews, an online suggestion box, and tutorials or how-tos.

We have a wiki lesson coming up, I see, and I have created & participated in wikis. Though I'm sure wikis have their place, I find Google Docs so much easier to use I wonder if it could replace wikis.

And because every post should have an image, here is one:

No comments: